The Laurels School opened in 2013 and is set in beautiful grounds in the leafy residential area of Clapham Park. The building was part of Thomas Cubitt’s Clapham Park estate built in the 1800’s. The building was part of Thomas Cubitt’s Clapham Park estate built in the 1800’s.
The Laurels School is an independent day school for girls aged 11– 18 situated in Clapham Park.
Thomas Cubitt (1788 – 1855) who was born in Norfolk, was the leading master builder in London in the late 19th century. He carried out several large building projects including Eaton Square and the development of Battersea Park.
In 1825 he bought 229 acres of Bleak Hall Farm, where he built his trademark Italianate villas, including a home for himself on Clarence Avenue. Development progressed slowly and it was not until the 1850s that most of the estate had been built and by this time Clapham Park had become one of the most fashionable London addresses.
Thomas Cubitt’s house was demolished in 1905 and replaced by spacious semi-detached houses, from 1929 to 1936 the London County Council laid out an estate of its standard neo-Georgian flats and resumed its programme after 1950, demolishing many of Cubitt’s houses and building low-rise shops and flats in a Swedish-influenced style. The Laurels School is one of only a few remaining Cubitt houses in the area.
The building has a long and illustrious history and from the 1950’s until the 1970’s it was home to Rosemead Preparatory School, which is now located in Dulwich, in July 2015 we welcomed back their former pupils for an alumni event which was a wonderful occasion in the history of the building.